Powell & Lealand.
MetadataShow full item record
This instrument is one of the earlier achromatic microscopes produced by Powell & Lealand shortly after they formed their partnership in 1841. The instrument is supported by a double pillar and a flat tripod. The body-tube rests on the grooved limb, the coarse adjustment being by a rack-and-pinion system. The body and the limb can be rotated 90 degrees away from the stage. Edward Nelson believed that the most important part of this microscope was the introduction of trunnions that replaced the compass joint of earlier microscopes. Trunnions became common feature in microscopes produced in the second half of the 19th century. We believe this to be a rare instrument. Signed: Powell & Lealand Makers. London.