Show simple item record

dc.creatorRoss, Andrew.
dc.date.accessioned2012-02-07T13:52:41Z
dc.date.available2012-02-07T13:52:41Z
dc.date.createdAbout 1835.
dc.date.issued2012-02-07
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2152.3/394
dc.description.abstractThis compound monocular microscope is the earliest Ross instrument in the collection, and may be one of the four known to have survived. The limb, which supports the body-tube and stage, is attached to the pillar by a ball-and-socket joint. The stage carries a tubular column on its under surface, and the pillar sits on a flat tripod base. About 1835. Signed: Ross, London.
dc.language.isoenen_US
dc.relation.ispartofOne of the best known microscope makers in London, Andrew Ross began business in 1830 and collaborated with J.J. Lister (1786-1869), inventor of a new design for achromatic lenses for the microscope. Both Ross and Lister were the founding members of the Microscopical Society of London (later the Royal Microscopial Society).
dc.subjectBiology
dc.subjectBritish Firms
dc.subjectMicroscopy
dc.subjectOptics
dc.title1.024en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail
Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record